Tuesday, February 17, 2009

After a long hiatus, I'm back. Yeah, it's been a while.


The Picture? Uh, NASA Ames "Reaearch" Center. Slight Typo in a Huge Sign. Bummer. Maybe they should have added a dictionary to their "Reaearch". Ah, well...

I learned about blogs (probably about 4 years too late) back in 2004. Well, maybe I learned about them even earlier, but I didn't try to play with creating one until 2004. It was during a vacation down to Los Angeles to stay with my in-laws for a while... and I was bored... so I found a computer and went to Blogger.com (which was before Google bought them and improved the interface) and spent an afternoon kicking around with it.

I created 4 blogs... all of them with complicated URLs... so I could never remember how to get to them. I also tended to forget the passwords to get into them to fix and update them.

Alas, I became unemployed. And I had to scramble to find jobs. Blogging wasn't high on my priorities. Then, when I had some response to my resumes, I got three gigs to work on simultaneously. Geeeze, when it rains, it pours. With three gigs all with different deadlines, I again wasn't in any position to put any attention on my blogs.

In 2005, I found myself severely unemployed... so I had a chance to start some new things. Tweaked the blogs a bit, but didn't go much further. Then, I got another job. This one didn't pay much, but it did pay enough to keep the bill collectors from freaking out and driving us nuts with their phone calls.

In late 2006, after a particularly frustrating day in the cubicle-farm, I came home and decided to investigate a website I had heard of--CafePress.

I sat down in front of the computer, went to the CafePress site, clicked on a button that said "Create Your Own Design and Product". It said, "Upload an Image"--so I dug around in my digital files and found a neat shot I took when vacationing in Hawaii... and uploaded that. Then it said, choose your products you want the picture on. I choose a bunch of things that I thought were cool--you know, T-Shirts, Mugs, Mousepads, Posters, Postcards, Greeting Cards, Journals, and Hats and such... and then I clicked on the button that said "done"....

I got a screen that said "Congratulations, You've got a Store!"... Hey, I'm cheap... I had a "Free" store. My Store? Sailing in Blue Hawaii.

I don't get a lot of traffic. But I've been learning how to use the Internet from all these ventures here and there. I'm hoping that this dumb little blog (and all the other weird websites I've cooked up) will give you hope that if dumb old Dave can do this, that you will have a chance at making it as well.

In the meantime, visit my Squidoo lens on Editing Your Writing.

I'll be writing more on this thing as I get the hang of it. And, I'll be posting some of the reasons why folks should hire an EDITOR.

Enjoy.. have a great day. Come back and visit once in a while. And if you need editing help, contact me!

No comments: